The Faraday Institution is the UK’s independent electrochemical energy storage research institute. Our goal is to make the UK a world leader in energy storage and to ensure the UK is well placed to take advantage of the future economic opportunities from this emerging technology.
The Faraday institution is looking to appoint a Business Intelligence Manager. The mission of the Business Intelligence Manager is to develop a unique understanding of the development of battery research across the world and use the gathered intelligence to support and advise Faraday Institution activities.
Objectives and responsibilities of the role:
- Gather intelligence on the development of the battery research market and understand the implications to the Faraday Institution research programmes and to UK competitiveness. Areas of particular focus will be:
- Other countries’ activities and intentions in battery research and development.
- The progress of research programmes at other companies and research institutions.
- Develop a strong network of worldwide connections to keep abreast of the latest developments in the battery market, from public and non-public sources.
- Use gathered intelligence to support the Faraday Institution Head of Economics and Market Insights in the creation of insights relevant to the UK industry and policy.
- Use gathered intelligence to support the Faraday Institution CEO and Chief Scientist in steering the Faraday Institution research agenda.
The Business Intelligence Manager will report to the Head of Economics and Market Insights and will work closely with the CEO and the Chief Scientist. The role will also involve regular interactions with external stakeholders such as leading UK policy groups, CTOs of companies in the sector (in the UK but also worldwide, especially in Asia), consulting firms/financial advisors with a strong energy analytics perspective, international research centres, think thanks and thinkers (especially in China, Korea, Japan, the US, and Germany), and commercial attaches in UK embassies.
This role is can be filled on a full-time and part-time basis.
About the successful candidate:
The Business Intelligence Manager will demonstrate the following skills and experience:
- Strong international contacts with the battery industry, academia and governments, and the ability to build international networks.
- Understanding of the science, engineering, and economics of batteries and if possible other forms of energy storage.
- Ability to communicate complex information in simple ways in both writing and analysis, and the ability to translate this information into a clear “so-what” for Faraday Institution and for the sector.
- Naturally inquisitive, to get beneath the “received wisdom”.
- Engaging behaviour, prioritising listening and understanding a range of stakeholders with different complex needs, rather than “broadcasting”.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- A passion for making the UK the centre for batteries and other forms of energy storage.
- Behaviour that inspires others in the mission of the Faraday Institution.
We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome diversity in all its forms.
To apply please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org